Twist and Shout 2014 is pleased
to bring you balloon competitions in both
Artistic and Entertainer categories plus competitions
for Dresses, Costumes and more.
The balloon competitions are a highlight of the convention. It is a formal opportunity to display your best work to the Balloon Community. Everyone is encouraged to enter.
The Artistic Figure Competition:
Only full-registered attendees can enter in the competitions. That means that you can both enter the competitions and vote. Your ballot is in your registration envelope. You are not required to compete or to vote, but you are forbidden from giving your ballot to anyone else. Day rate attendees are allowed to vote for the competitions.
You may build your competition pieces at any time. You must bring your entries to the competition room, between 8am and 4 pm on competition day. The entries will close at 4 pm promptly. No exceptions. No whining.
Large Figure Competition
Friday February 7, 2014
8 am - 12 noon
Small , Medium, & Uninflated Figure Competition
Friday February 7, 2014
12 noon - 4pm
(Voting on Competition pieces will take place Friday
after the stage competitin, for 1 hour only. Voting for Large, Medium, Small & Uninflated Saturday 9 am - 3 pm)
Please bring your entries to the Competition room, and receive a numbered tag. A convention staff member will verify the size category. Place the tag in front of your piece in a conspicuous manner(do not attach the tag to the piece). Place the piece with the tag in the front of your piece,on the correct table as directed. A T&S staff member or a BalloonHQ photographer will move your piece the the photography area, take a picture of it, and finally, place the entry back on the table. Once you enter your Sculpture in its place on a table, it cannot be touched. Please be aware that the competitions pieces may be moved by the Twist & Shout Staff as necessary for photography and to make room for other pieces.
Voting will take place after the stage competition for one hour after the end of the show, and on Saturday between 9 am and 3 pm. All ballots must be placed in the voting boxes by Saturday 3 pm sharp. No exceptions. No whining. Your votes must be written legibly. If we can't read it, the vote gets tossed.
There are four categories in the figure competition:
SMALL: Must fit into measurments of 12"x12"x12" (30.5 cm) each. No squishing.
MEDIUM: Must fit into measurments of 30"x30"x30" (76.2 cm) each. No squishing.
LARGE: Must fit into measurments of 8' length x 8' width x 10'high, No squishing.
(sections can be brought into the area and assembled until 12pm sharp, if needed)
Creating the entire piece in the competition room is not allowed due to space constraints.
*Large sculptures can be built in any public space available, but will be required to be moved Friday morning to be placed for final voting. No "reserved" spaces will be accepted.
UNINFLATED: uninflated balloons and "puffed" balloons only - 1 category, any size
(if the latex is stretched by air inside, it will be placed in one of the above categories
- if you have not entered another sculpture in that category)
Any medium of attachment/decoration (IE: tape, glue, wire, monofiliment, paint, marker, hockey helmets, Etc, are allowed.) Only magnetic rigging will be allowed from ceiling.
**Any special requirements such as electrical , helium (minimal available, cost at current cubic foot price), or any out of normal requests must be made to Jay Hubbard at email@example.com by Monday January 27 2014, or they will not be available.
You may only enter one figure per category.
All awards will be announced at the banquet Saturday night.
Competition room will be open to the public for 4 hours Saturday.
The competition entries will be open for viewing/pictures from 9 till noon on Sunday. Please do not remove or touch the entries until then. Please do not take someone else's entry afterwards because they might want to keep it.
**Artistic Categories will be judged by Twist and Shout attendees, 1 vote per person, per catagory, is allowed.
Stage Performance Competition:
1. The Competitors
- The competitors must be full attendees of the Twist and Shout convention.
- The number of competitors is limited to twelve (12). Spots are given out on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Entertainment Teams will be allowed.
- Competitors may give the MC a short written introduction. However, the MC is not obligated to recite it verbatim.
- Score sheets will be available to competitors after the awards are announced Saturday night.
2. The Judges
- 5 judges will be selected by the convention organizers.
- The judges can consist of balloon professional and lay persons.
- The judges will act impartially.
- The judges will score each act on a 100-point scale:
Presentation, up to 40 points.
Technical skills, up to 25 points.
Originality, up to 15 points.
Use of balloons, up to 20 points.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- You the audience will also get to cast 1 vote in the "Peoples Choice" Category.
3. The Competition
- Each competitor must attend the tech rehearsal (location and time to be determined).
- The organizer will determine the performance order after the tech rehearsal.
- A sound system with CD and cassette will be provided. If you need another format (ie. minidisc or MP3) please bring a portable player and the necessary cables.
- A standup microphone and a lavaliere mic will be provided. Competitors are encouraged to bring their personal mic and receiver.
- A raised at least 12' X 9' platform will be provided. Pipe and drape backdrop and side drapes will be provided.
- The performance may not exceed seven (7) minutes performance. This does not include 1 minute setup & tear down
- Each competitor is responsible for their own setup and cleanup. Roadies/assistants will be allowed. They will not be provided by the organizers.
- One minute before the time limit expires a yellow light will be displayed to the performer. At seven minutes a red light will be displayed.
- Performances exceeding seven minutes will get a zero score for presentation skills.
- Each competitor must perform in succession according to the determined order. If the competitor is not prepared to perform when their time is due that participant may be disqualified.
4. The Awards
- The votes of the judges will be added up and three prizes will be given:
First Place, to the competitor that receives the highest total score.
Second Place, to the competitor that receives the second highest score.
Third Place, to the competitor that receives the third highest score.
- In the event of a tie, the judges will reconvene to break the tie.
- The prizes will be announced by the organizers at the banquet.
- There will also be 1 winner in the "Peoples Choice" Category, given on Saturday night. The peoples choice award will be open for voting until (1) half hour after the end of the
Twist & Shout's Balloon Couture and Costume Competitions
- Thursday February 6, 2014
* All Competitors must sign up by 12 noon On Day of competition
* All Competitors are responsible for finding their own models
* The competitions will be two separate competitions, one exclusively for dresses, one for costumes
* Competitors may only have one piece in each competition
* All Competitors and their models are required to arrive 1 hour before competition for close-up inspection by the judges. Judges may choose to interview the competitors before the fashion show
* All Competitors will draw numbers to determine order of show
* 75% of the Dress or Costume must be made of inflated balloons.
* All designs must be appropriate for all audiences
* Body and Facepaint plus other accessories will be allowed, but will not be considered when judged
* There will be prizes for first, second and third places in each competition based on the judges scores. An additional "People's Choice" award will also be given based on the votes by the convention's delegates
Dresses Will be judged on:
Proportions and Scale
Use of Color
Overall Visual Appeal and Appearance
Wearability (ability of models to walk, move, etc)